Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Vintage Peach Dress Refashion

Time for another tutorial! Notice I'm a few days late? Oops. It wasn't only a busy week, but a busy weekend as well. 

Thursday and Friday night my great friend Katie came to visit since she's out of school already like all other college students except us Buckeyes. We had a great time! It was so great to see her again. Then yesterday, I was able to spend the evening with my parents which was really nice. 

Today we are doing a refashion tutorial! It's pretty simple with great results.

I got this dress at Goodwill. I loved the vintage-y look, it was cheap, and not much needed to be done to it. Perfect.


This is what it looked like before:

And after:

It reminds me a bit of something Kate Middleton would wear. Love her style.

(Photo creds to my friend/future roomie Melody!)



It didn't need much reworking - just hemming the bottom and taking it in a little at the bust, so it was a pretty simple project. The one dilemma I came across was that it was a little see-through so I ended up making a white slip to go underneath it.

Here's what you'll need:
-Dress to refashion
-Sewing machine, thread, etc.
That's it!

Here's what you do:

1. First things first - try the dress on (after washing well!). You want to make it fit you as well as possible so you first want to know how it fits you. Decide where it needs to be taken in, taken up, etc.

2. Pin the hem where you want it to be. Take the dress off, cut, and iron up the hem. Sew.

3. I took the bust in a bit. To do this, try the dress on so you don't take it in too much. Pin together the area right beneath the arm holes where you want it to be taken in. Take the dress off, turn it inside out, draw a line with chalk where you want to sew, pin, and sew it. I suggest cutting the extra fabric off after sewing in case you take it in too much.

4. Try it on and make sure it fits!

5. Now you're done with the dress! Time for the slip. It was a little on the big side. I didn't need anything fancy, just something to make the dress not see-through. Lay the slip out flat, place a dress that fits well on top of it, and cut around it leaving plenty for a seam allowance. I have a picture of this below.


6. Sew up the sides of the slip and try on to make sure it fits.

You're done! Obviously, chances are you won't find this exact dress, but if you ever find something that doesn't need too much work like this one but you still like the look of, here's how to refashion it just a little. Enjoy!

If you aren't a member/follower of my blog yet and you have a google account, sign in and join my site! I'd love to have you following along!
_______________________________________________________________________

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." -2 Corinthians 4:18
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Say it here! I love hearing from you all.

Please keep your comments and feedback kind and uplifting.